SEIS is a multidisciplinary service targeted at the small proportion of South Australia Workers Compensation claims that account for over 90% of its costs. We have developed a highly effective screening tool to identify these proportion of claims who we consider to need high level specialist care. Our aim is to reduce this proportion of claims, to achieve a favourable health and return to work outcome for these workers and to potentially reduce its costs exponentially.
We aim to facilitate work capacity and lower the risk of chronicity via :
- Identifying complex worker injuries with poor prognostic indicators within the first 2 to 4 weeks of injury.
- Provide early and accurate diagnosis.
- Recommend or implement appropriate treatment.
- Identify suitable and sustainable duties at the workplace by conducting a worksite visit.
- Promote early return to work.
- Identify and manage all barriers in a biopsychosocial context.
- Provide succinct effective communication.
- Actively promote and implement Injury Prevention
Complex worker injury criteria for SEIS:
- High levels of pain
- Psychosocial-Industrial issues
- Flag factors
- > 3 days off work
- Sequalae claim
- Prior extensive absenteeism
- Previous claim / multiple claims/ MVA claims
- Immediate legal representation
- Pain at other body parts
- Multiple injuries
- Uncertain diagnosis
- Failure to improve as anticipated
- Medical co-morbidities & Obesity
- Cultural issues
- Doctor or practitioner shopping
- Any concerns from any stakeholders